Saturday, January 20, 2007

This is our line....and it will hold






Back to my Brothers and Forefathers. In that pantheon of Heroes that Machine Gunners pay homage to, there is one island where they were proven more than most other places. Fights have been crazy and platoons and men have done amazing things but there are those of us who were giants to say the least. The island I speak of is one that those who read this sight are familiar with....Guadalcanal. To name a few of the machine gunners who were nothing short of heroes there we find John Basilone, Al Schmidt, Lee Diamond and the man we see above.....Colonel Mitchell Paige.
Perhaps one of the greatest stories that I have ever found is that of this man's service and his life. I managed to get my hands on the last television interview Mitch gave before he passed away in 2003, which for the past year has been part of the curriculum at my Machine Gunner's program. He spoke about the fight that night on Guadalcanal and of the horrific events that went down and how proud he was of his men. Roughly six hours of fighting, much of which he did alone running from gun position to gun position halting the advancing hordes. When the sun finally rose, he gathered the men who had finally come to reinforce the lines and lead the bayonet charge down into the regrouping enemies midst, his 30.cal Machine Gun cradled in his arms. He called to them in perfect Japanese, which he had learned while on embassy duty in China, to "Get Up, the Americans are Retreating".....he patiently waited for them to get up and then lit several bursts off with his weapon and laid them down to rest in the Kunai grass for the last time. At the end of the fight, Platoon Sergeant Paige and his 33 man Machine Gun platoon managed to destroy and hold off roughly 3,000 Japanese. That is 3,000 men of conviction, from the reputed Japanese Sendai Division who didn't simply wash up against the regiment's lines. They were trying to come across HIS HILL. They simply crossed swords with the wrong warrior and his troops that night. This is his Congressional Medal of Honor citation from that action.


PAIGE, MITCHELL
Rank and organization: Platoon Sergeant, U.S. Marine Corps. Place and date: Solomon Islands, 26 October 1942. Entered service at: Pennsylvania. Born: 31 August 1918, Charleroi, Pa.


Citation:
For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous gallantry in action above and beyond the call of duty while serving with a company of marines in combat against enemy Japanese forces in the Solomon Islands on 26 October 1942. When the enemy broke through the line directly in front of his position, P/Sgt. Paige, commanding a machinegun section with fearless determination, continued to direct the fire of his gunners until all his men were either killed or wounded. Alone, against the deadly hail of Japanese shells, he fought with his gun and when it was destroyed, took over another, moving from gun to gun, never ceasing his withering fire against the advancing hordes until reinforcements finally arrived. Then, forming a new line, he dauntlessly and aggressively led a bayonet charge, driving the enemy back and preventing a breakthrough in our lines. His great personal valor and unyielding devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

....A more amazing man you simply cannot ask for. One of my greatest regrets is never having gotten to meet the man myself. I have however talked with is wife Marilyn on several occasions, a truly amazing woman. She just wowed me with how she still carries on her husbands drive and principles of service, and I swear she knows every battlefield story and she carries it with her now as sacred as the Eagle, Globe and Anchor pendant she wears that her beloved husband gave her early in their marriage. What a wonderful woman.

.... The reality that I have preached in my classrooms after I play that interview is that we, as Machine Gunners simply do not have the luxury of change. What a Marine did with a colt Machine Gun at the turn of the 20th century or with a Gatling Gun prior to that is the same mission that we will ask of our young men today. As they sit and listen to Col. Paige perfectly recount what he must do with regard to the cycle of function inside his Browning 30.cal (at 84 years of age) I challenge them to have that conviction and train to such a standard that the Sendai Division would have no more of a chance today if they chose to cross swords with any one of them. It is simply the only way it can be in our world. There is no middle ground. If we do not do our part more men will die. You must never get into this business half-heartedly. Mitch taught me what a man can do who was a Machine Gunner to the very core of his being from day one at Infantry training to the day he passed away.

On a more disquieting note, I can remember my fury the days following Col. Paige's passing in 2003. As I sat home getting choked up after hearing the news through my channels, I read the newspaper and there was no mention of a Hero's Passing. The big story of the day...."Michael Jackson goes to court for child molestation". Maybe I am biased to my own little universe but I can remember being so infuriated I could hardly speak without yelling about that. I have calmed down since then, and have come to realize that it falls to us and those faithful in society at large to keep our brothers faith. That's how it's always been it just takes a minute to accept. That is after all the driving force behind this wonderful site. On my last day in the Marine Corps I saw a few Marines from 1/1 talking about who the buildings were named after and they pointed to the sign that Harrell and I hung and asked, "I wonder who he is?'.......which of course turned into my classic, "have a seat and I'll tell you a story" response. There was not a Machine Gun Team Leader or above in my 25 months as Chief Instructor who didn't know who Aaron Austin or Mitchell Paige were. Keeping the faith and holding the line is simply what we do.

Semper Fidelis My Friends.

-Knip

3 comments:

De'on Miller said...

This is fantastic and real. These are the stories of war we need. I so hope you'll enlighten us with these personal experiences, REAL knowledge and such a show of determination as to what is required to keep our freedom and win this war.

The general public wants a sanitized version of war and wit. The true stories are of real people, amazing people born with a spirit unique except to its very own.

This site will always honor our military and their families. It will honor sacrifice of every sort. Whether we like it or not, we are all in this together.

Our enemy today is such that people like Barbara Olson was at risk, children, any and everyone who does not profess Islam, is at risk. It is our military that stands between us and them.

And it is people like you and others who know the ugly side, which after all, is not ugly, but full of loyalty to something, to others, that can't be explained. Perhaps not even to yourself.

Because of men like our machine gunners, and like those who would willingly lay down their life for the weaker man, even for those who would despise them for it, we can live in and with HOPE.

What greater love?

Like you, the MSM disgusts me. It's one of the reasons I love the blog. True, I don't go out looking for opinions different than mine, beliefs antagonistic to mine. No, I, like so many, need the support of others who believe in what so many have died and will die for.

Through this, I've found the support I'd found lacking. It is out there for our troops, our military, our God ... and it reaches more people per day than we can imagine.

Write on!

Anonymous said...

As a newspaper editor, I would always seek out the stories that honored the men and women who make our country great. When I was the editor in Dumas, I would put a picture of one of our military at the top of the front page ... every issue. They stopped doing that after I left the paper. I just shook my head.

I would always make sure that we produced a Memorial Day issue, and people were usually surprised that we had former POWs living in our community. My family doctor, when I was growing up here, was a Bataan Death March survivor. They lived quiet lives, but it was always important to me to honor them.

We want freedom in this country, but so many people don't want to know the sacrifices made to keep this country free. My boss in Georgia was a Vietnam veteran, and he and I were usually kidded by the reporters because his office and mine were small-scale museums to the military. He was Army; I was Air Force. He joked that I wasn't really in the military.

The mainstream media will continue to ignore major events such as the passing of our military heroes. Instead, they will focus on the sensational news that they think will sell copies.

It's up to us, and there are many of us, to keep the stories about our warriors alive. When I started this blog, I told De'on that I didn't want the world to ever forget Aaron or what he did. De'on now works countless hours on the blog to honor our military.

You joining the blog, Sgt. Knipper, strengthened us. You have no idea how grateful we are to have you. If you have any ideas for our new Web site at gunzup.com, feel free to pass them on. I'd like to know your thoughts about it.

Together, we can make it the site that honors our warriors like no other.

De'on Miller said...

Here, here! I'm sure he'll want certain links. You are doing a fantastic job on the site Steve. I couldn't be happier about it, and I am thankful for a husband and family that allow me the time and freedom, the encouragment, to work on that that I love.

And I do.

And where's Kayla and Greg?