Friday, February 09, 2007

Virgie Bell's View: Goodbye Franke

Yesterday in the paper was an obituary for Franke Laine. Gosh, did that bring back memories. Readers of this blog would probably not recall anything that he sang, but he was truly a great talent. When we had moved to Texas and I was getting ready for school each morning, I remember his songs being on. My mom got that music going while she fixed breakfast. He did Henandos Hideaway...Mule Train...and some other great songs. When I go to bed I will think of a dozen, but I can’t right now. If you remember the TV Show "Rawhide,” well he did the theme song for that every week. Clint Eastwood played Rowdy Yates.

I saw Clint Eastwood being interviewed in a talk show yesterday. He still looks good to me and he has been around a few years. Franke Laine was 93 years old. Like I said, the memories come flooding back of my family. The ones I grew up with. Music was really great then. I have a hard time understanding what there is to like now days, but then I think a Ship and Shore Blouse should cost $4.99 so you see I am way back there. If the TV had of gone on all day about remembering Mr. Laine, I could understand it. I do not understand all the hype about Anna Nicole Smith. If she had a talent it remained hidden and I will say that was the only part of her that she didn't over expose every chance she got.

Last night I couldn't go to sleep for a while thinking how sad it is that we give credence to someone like that. Leave it to me to find something wrong, but I did not think she was all that sexy. Her gums and teeth were just so ... I don't know ... big? Her breasts were surely not real or her hair. I mean she was the bimbos bimbo and she loved being that it seems. It is sad that she found nothing more substantial in her life than strip shows and gambling, and posing for cheese cake. Poor little baby girl that she left behind. And all these guys coming out of the woodwork claiming to be her father. It must be true then that she did receive all that money from that Mr. Marshall. I had really never paid that much attention to the details of all of that. Ms. Smith held no charm for me, but obviously, I am not the same as the ones who really made her into a celebrity. In the final run she was famous for being famous. I will watch to see who shows up at her funeral. Or I will read about it at any rate. Did she have a life other than being famous for being famous? I would hope so. I also do not know what is going on with this William Arkin. I guess it is just as well that I don't. If he is really insulting our troops. I will check it out. I don’t watch NBC, so I am behind. I am on FOX 24/7 because they SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

2 comments:

De'on Miller said...

I read about Anna Nicole's hometown being ashamed of her. I guess that's understandable, but it still bothered me. It's all kind of sad in a way.

Anonymous said...

De'on it really isn't something to boast about. They have like a NFL coach or something. This I can undestand. Can you imagine her in Littlefield? We are talking Friday night lights ..no way do they identify. I wish you would go to the web and get list of Frankie Laine songs and his bio. I think readers of this sight would be glad. I was wrong because he did not do Hernandos Hideaway. That was done at the same time as his song Thats My Desire. LOve Mom