Wednesday, February 07, 2007

"I Have to Know"

Thomas Hauker
England
1555

"Thomas," his friend lowered his voice so as not to be heard by the guard. "I have to ask you this favor. I need to know if what the others say about the grace of God is true. Tomorrow, when they burn you at the stake, if the pain is tolerable and your mind is still at peace, lift your hands above your head. Do it right before you die. Thomas, I have to know."

Thomas Hauker whispered to his friend, "I will."

The next morning, Hauker was bound to the stake and the fire was lit. The fire burned a long time, but Hauker remained motionless. His skin was burnt to a crisp and his fingers were gone. Everyone watching supposed he was dead. Suddenly, miraculously, Hauker lifted his hands, still on fire, over his head. He reached them up to the living God and then, with great rejoicing, clapped them together three times.

The people there broke into shouts of praise and applause. Hauker's friend had his answer.

dc Talk and The Voice of the Martyrs. Jesus Freaks. 1999.


My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.... It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness. Now.... I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become.

Paul the Apostle
Martyred in Rome, 65 AD
(2 Corinthians 12: 9, 10 THE MESSAGE)

No comments: