Friday, January 26, 2007

Hey Doc Duty, do you know him too?

Todd Larkin is a soldier serving in Afghanistan. He is also a humanitarian for the projects he undertakes for the Afghan children.

He needs our help with these projects.He is trying to get shoes, mittens, caps, coats and sweaters and other warm clothing to hand out to the children of Afghanistan - warm clothes for those without in the grip of winter. The clothes don't need to be new, but they do need to be clean. Toys are good, too!!!

Todd has also put together a cultural exchange program with some of the kids back home in Oklahoma and a school in Afghanistan. This is an excerpt from one of his posts on the project:

While I was looking through the papers and posters I came across one of the most perfect examples of why we are here and what we have done, here is what this wonderful little girl had to say. (Pardon the grammar but this is amazing English for an Afghan 6th Grader)

I am pleased on the arrival of the Coalition Forces in Afghanistan. Because five years ago I and my sisters all sisters of our country couldn’t go to school. The Taliban were controlling all of Afghanistan. They didn’t wanted the girls to go to school and study. And now that we can go to school we are proud for all our sisters. After the collapse of the Taliban we were studying in ruined school buildings and now we are thankful to the Coalition Forces for building us a new school to study. And now all student can study in this new building we become very happy when some help and serve us.

I was pretty amazed and shocked to say the least, what amazing and inspirational words from such a little girl. She should be a perfect example of why we’re here and why we need to stay here.
+++

If you can help him with his projects, please send to:

Michael T. Larkin
41 BCT HHC 1-180 SECFOR
Camp Phoenix, AF
APO, AE 09320

And, please visit his website for some wonderful stories and pictures! (which I borrowed/stole to put here - thanks, Todd!!!) Task Force Phoenix

And I confiscated it from Flag Gazer

3 comments:

Flag Gazer said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I cant say that I do, but I know his unit. Maybe i'll try and look him up.

De'on Miller said...

I'm so glad to hear from you, Doc. I'd be happy to hear everyday, but figure you have enough riding on your shoulders, so I'm glad to hear every few days.

I'm always thrilled when I see one of you guys' names in my email. Last night, it was Moraleses name. I was just about to get sleepy and when I heard from him, I was pumped and ready to stay up for the rest of my life. Of course, the "rest of my lie" lasted about 2 hours, and I'm actually just getting awake again now.

I love you all so much and am so proud of you all. What amazing people protect and care for us.

Take care and hope all the training is paying off for the medics over there. It feels good to me to have this kind of hope for this country.

Keep up the good work and pass it on to the troops under you.

Love, love ...