Friday, December 01, 2006

Virgie Bell's View

First of all let me call attention to an editor malfunction. I did not report that the Hollywood obscure star soon to win an Oscar for portraying the lead in "Bobby" – I did not say nor did I imply that the future sexiest man alive read the books on the famous Kennedy clan. Scripts, De'on. This is the Estevez from the famous Sheen clan of TV and activist fame. Mom read the books.

The Kennedy saga has a long, long history. I loved JFK .When my generation shopped for bomb shelters, we went about it cheerfully and stood firm with our leader, even as we faced the RUSSIAN with CUBA MISSILE CRISIS, the one we are fixing to face with RUSSIA and IRAN. Will we never listen to one of the oldest maxims that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat history.

It makes me proud to have a redneck in office after the show-down of 9/11. For all the world to know it reminded me of my days of bomb shelter shopping. The end result of that was we couldn't afford one. Now if you noticed, I am very politcal and my parents were very political. My dad said if anyone asks you what you are, you are a Democrat. Daddy recognized bull----. That was the bottom line with him, and trust me, he was head of the house. If there was ever a get-out-of-my-face kind of guy, it was him. He was also one of the most handsome men ever to draw a breath.

If those walls in the Oval Office could talk, JFK could have made Clinton look like a girlyman. JFK was glamor personified, and his affairs brought you right into the lives of the movie industry. Now we are left with just tawdry affairs Ted. Ted is a pitiful player in real life. He is such bad casting as himself.

For a while we stood a chance. We had John, as in John-John, and not the Monica fiasco. That was tawdry, so I know my Dad would stand on principle. He would never condone lying. Dad hated liars, but he was a practical man. My sister and I were visiting with him in a bar in Lodi. It was a seedy bar, and Dad worked there as a boucer at one time. The "blondes have more fun" was the cry of the day, and one of the seeds was hollering, "Blondie! Blondie!" to my sister. Under my breath, I asked her if blondes have more fun. My dad chuckled at first, then he sat there a minute and finally spoke up that it was enough. But the seed just kept on, and my dad grabbed up his Coke bottle and broke it on the edge of the bar and said louder, "I said that’s enough." He showed me that he respected me as a woman.

My dad was into principle big time. You know what? I wish he were here to tell me what to do. He never drank liquor when we went to visit him in California. Shea reminds me of Daddy as did Aaron. There was an element of glamor that hovered around their shoulders, and I know those Pickrell men teach their daughters self respect, but most of all my mother and my daddy would SUPPORT OUR TROOPS.

No comments: