Thursday, November 30, 2006

Breakfast In Panama

I became a single parent while in the Army stationed in Panama. The first morning in this new position will never be forgotten.

I awoke and went downstairs full of excitement. I was planning the day's activities with my two sons, 2 and 3 1/2 years old. Halfway down the stairs, I noticed white plume in the air. The boys decided to make breakfast. Cereal, flour, sugar, milk and butter covered the livingroom. The boys spent the next two hours in the tub.

I spent the time going back and forth cleaning the breakfast of choice out of their hair, off the livingroom floor and various other places. It took 2 1/2 hours to clean up the mess that took only 15 minutes to make. The lesson I learned that morning: never ending.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, to be a kid again and make breakfast on the living room floor! This story reminds me of a time when I was about 7 years old, and my grandmother wasn't feeling well and was in bed for the day. I thought I'd whip her up some tortillas, and since I had seen her make them every day, I figured I had the technique down. The product resembled something between a roof shingle and a piece of tire rubber. I produced about 10 of the masterpieces, and each of them had a different shape, mostly resembling odd shapes like the outline of Massachusettes or Texas. You could eat them if your stomach was able to break down concrete. The kitchen looked like a flour bomb had gone off, and I looked like I had been dipped in water and then rolled in flour. Yeah, to be a kid again.

Anonymous said...

Gotta love boys.. Especially when they're in their terrible 2's or 3's. I had a pretty good visual with that story. LOL.