Sunday, November 19, 2006

Virgie Bell's View: Part Three

We had to go buy something else for my Christmas Tree Extraordinaire. We had failed to get a tree topper or tree skirt. Well, we got the last beautiful gold angel for the topper and a gold satin jewel encrusted skirt. I can't believe we spent more on that skirt for our tree than on a skirt for me ... but that we did...anyway is there anything more fun than buying this kind of stuff? It is all so colorful and gaudy but is so much fun…oh, I fully intend to bring out all my old stuff from Trees Past: you know, the kind with all the memories... but if you have remodeled nearly all of one year you see enough of old memories and piled up junk that you are not ready to go there just yet for Christmas.

Jerry is on his day off and has now baked a turkey and is smoking a ham and has made two of his famous pecan pies from scratch. He wins the blue ribbon every year at the fair with his pies… it is so cute…for those of you who don't know Jerry, he is 6'3" and weighs, God only knows what … but he’s not fat, and he is just so proud of his ribbons. He also cans everything cannable and receives ribbons for all that stuff too. He has a fully furnished kitchen on the patio with a full-sized electric range, deep freezer, fridge, plus all sorts of hot plates and smokers and pits. He has a sink with cutting boards and enough iron tables and chairs that he’s crafted (he is a master welder) and the stuff that he has made is to perfection. We’ve enough tables to seat about 40 people.

We had a party for Aaron’s and Zach’s graduation and it was great fun. I guess my family will be here to have Thanksgiving with us tomorrow, except for our son, who has invited us to his house on the real Thanksgiving, I have made turkey and dressing twice in the last three weeks trying to find the very best dressing recipe. Well, l hit the nail on the head with the last batch, so that's cool ... but anyway, when you are deep into remodeling and still have a lot of stuff left over and no place to put it, you find tons of useless stuff to occupy your time with, until finally, you admit defeat and throw it away. So far, I've given bunches of clothes away, and still have miles to go before I sleep.

De'on and Steve want to profile me as a Gunz Up contributor. Among other interests, I am a cup towel embroiderer, the old fashioned hand stitched type, and an art taught me by Mama Curry and Grandma Thomas. At this time last year, I was that artisan; now, I'm just plain old gripey me, remodeling a house.

I have to go and really do some work now.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

No comments: