Sunday, February 25, 2007

For Virgie Bell

Mom,
I have always loved your music. It was some of the greatest in the world. Remember, it is I, your elder daughter, who knows every word to the Platter's 1955 Golden Hits.Then there's Leroy Van Dyke, Nat King Cole, and Brenda Lee. I knew all the words to the albums you had of theirs. And I love Ferrante and Teicher's instrumentals as well as most Jazz and Blues. I love most classical, rock, country and even some rap!

And like you, I will never forget all that it means to me as an aging woman now.

You've given me so much. My love of God's Word, reading and music are just at the top of the list. I also love the snits you send me every day and I hope our readers know that you're not joking. You really are in a true snit. I can read about it from your posts or come over there and watch it for myself. Each day brings it's own decisions!

I love you. And no, it's not Mother's Day. I find it amazing that you have trouble remembering the passing of the days and dates, yet you pay attention to how many times your TIME magazine arrived on Saturday as opposed to the regular Wednesday mail delivery.

It's neat. It makes me remember how Aunt Frances always mailed MaMa's letters on Tuesday so they would reach her on a certain day of the week for the rest of their years with health.

Because of the music, singing and dancing you brought into my life, you will be forever young to me.

Love,

De'on


1949

c. 2000

February 7, 2007 LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Frankie Laine, the big-voiced singer whose string of hits made him one of the most popular entertainers of the 1950s, died Tuesday. He was 93.


Laine died of heart failure at Scripps Mercy Hospital in San Diego, Jimmy Marino, Laine's producer of more than a dozen years, told The Associated Press.


"He was one of the greatest singers around," Marino said. "He was one of the last Italian crooners type."

With songs such as "That's My Desire," "Mule Train," "Jezebel," "I Believe" and "That Lucky Old Sun," Laine was a regular feature of the Top Ten in the years just before rock 'n' roll ushered in a new era of popular music.


Somewhat younger listeners may remember him best for singing the theme to the television show "Rawhide," which ran from 1959 to 1966, and the theme for the 1974 movie "Blazing Saddles."


He sold more than 100 million records and earned more than 20 gold records.
"He will be forever remembered for the beautiful music he brought into this world, his wit and sense of humor, along with the love he shared with so many," Laine's family said in a statement.


Laine said his musical influences included Bing Crosby, Al Jolson and jazz artists including Bessie Smith, Louis Armstrong and Billie Holliday.

No comments: