Thursday, December 07, 2006

Virgie Bell's View

I was to write my childhood growing up in the shadow of World War 11, and I will try to do that, but being an American child, my perspective would be much different than that of children from other parts of the world. My perspective is different as an adult also.

I was neither in the World Trade Center nor in the other two places attacked: the Pentagon and that lonely field where with dying breaths fellow citizens foiled the attempted target to wherever the enemy had in mind. We do know that those passengers had cell phones and did know of the success of the other two planes. We do know they gave up their lives rather than let another target be hit. We also know that the American people woke up to the fact that we are despised by forces they cannot hope to understand...Assuming that my parents were not idiots. I understand the steel used for the bombs that dropped on Pearl Harbor was furnished by us. We did not mean to furnish the steel for any purpose other than peace. In fact, Japan, at the time of the bombing, had an envoy signing a peace treaty. War had been declared on America on our soil then, just as it was on Sept.11. The difference being that the guilty had a homeland, a place to aim our military, crippled as it was. We were not then a superpower. But we were a people. The American People.

We have always been in wars because we fight principalities and the source of evil itself...our only hope with this enemy is that they would love their children more than they hate us, even though we know for a fact that they will hold them within a mothers arms and blow herself and her child up just to kill a few of us. Just as it always has been just as it always will be, as long as we exist...period.

Like everyone else with half a brain I watched as Colin Powell pointed out chemical and biological facilities in Iraq. They did exist just as they did when we saw the same thing in Cuba. No matter what else I believe about this war, the very most I can hope for is that George Bush is not an evil man, and that the God he prays to is truly the one in whom I believe. I have to believe that the God I pray to is God. I have no other hope than that, a faith in something not seen, a hope in hope, or I am left with nothing. My God is not a practical joker. That is blasphemy and neither is God mocked, nor is He divided. Everything that God said is true. Or it is not. Not being a brilliant person, sometimes I have to look at the simplest things in the simplest terms.


Lisa, my daughter came by today in tears, afraid that she in her ignorance had prayed for her country, that she was somehow responsible...and in her ignorance she helped to kill Aaron with her prayers. So I will say this if her working every day to care for her family, her aging parents, every stray animal that comes along, if that is then evil, we are evil. The only thing we have to fear is fear itself, and we live in hope, and believe. It’s all we ever had in the past, all we have in the future. We will either win this war or any war by the grace of God.

Yes, I was a child during World War 11. I remember scrap metal drives, rations for gas, bomb drills at my school and search lights in the sky. But most of all, I remember the soldiers who fought so that I have the freedom to express myself. The Marines who bravely fought and all of those who died for our country and on this day, Pearl Harbor Day, I want to thank you from the depth of my heart for the sacrifice and for all of those spending this day away from home so that I can be safe in my home, God bless each and everyone of you.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

4 comments:

De'on Miller said...

Lisa, my goodness, you were never given control over Aaron's life or death!

You have the purest prayers in this world. I know because I know you.

Your favorite sister,

De'on Miller said...

I haven't been able to shake this post. Lisa, at times when guilt hits me, something I think that is quite normal during survivor's holidays, Greg has said to me, "De'on, you're not that big."

Do not give the enemy one inch to destroy all that is so beautiful this time of year. Every day is so beautiful.

The wind chimes are rocking just now.

My sons are safe, as is my grandchild, perhaps cradled in Aaron's spiritual arms just now.

I have a magnet on my fridge that is black; the gold letters spell 'Believe' and you gave that to me, Lisa.

Your purpose in this life is much different than mine, even though we've always been joined at the hip. You are serving out your purpose just as I am. Just as Aaron and Shane and my son's unborn babe did. We either believe that all serves to benefit the Kingdom, or we begin to doubt every happenstance in our lives, lives that God calls a vapor.

Be still and know that He is God and He alone sits everything in its place. We kid ourselves and think we have control over so much. Look up, around and down and tell me what you really have control over. I'm here to tell you, unless God wrote the plan and protection Himself, then it is nothing. He is the author and finisher of our faith and He will prevail in all.

You have a beautiful family that is mine also. I don't regard that family as 2nd place. I know God put your family in my life, just as He put Greg in my life BEFORE Aaron was killed. Do you think Aaron's passing was a surprise to God?

God forbid. If I came anywhere close to believing this, I'd lose hope in all. In everything. And the Thief wants to rob us of everything. Don't let him.

Whatever the name of that song is that Kenny Chesney sings that everyone is so in awe of; the one where he wonders what the "loved one would be doing now" is nearly absurd to me. I can't go there. I've tried, but it doesn't work.

"The Dance" makes me think of Aaron.

Yes, we can visualize what all Aaron could have lived for. Visualize instead, of what he lives for now.

Baby sister, I love you and Mom, I still want a story about you and your brothers growing up and playing army during WWII! It's Christmas and that's what I asked for and that's what I want. Spend some time on it and WOW me!

Anonymous said...

I fell apart because I'm ready for some positive on this war that Aaron died for. All this gripe about this and that has politically drove me crazy. And no I'm not listening to it anymore if I can help it. We always hear about the military we have lost, the civilians in Iraq that has been killed and yes some of the main guys, but what about the insurgents...surely they are being killed as well. I would like to hear about the insurgents killed by American gunfire. All I hear is what were doing wrong...and honestly I can't handle Aaron or the other troops dying in a war with everybody stabbing each other in the back up there in the White House. I feel we have it so wrong anymore; our loyality, our respect for human kindness. How can things go right with all this mess between Republicans and Democrats and now who will be trying for there way in the Oval Office in a couple of years. Yes I know it was Aaron's time. I do trust in my LORD and know that the battle is won for us that believe in Jesus Christ our Lord that died for our sins. I don't want this war to be in vain. He did, she did, it makes me want to puke. The gangsters or wanna be gangsters don't have nothing on this society we represent across the TV. Just like the man I saw the other day from WWII wearing his cap stating I fought with pride...thats what we need to give more in this society is a lot more pride our troops deserve it. It's the media that tears me apart. And yes I'm getting away from it. Staying in the real world should help my weakness ,not watching it. but living it. Pray for the military, our government, for the sick, the lonely and the poor. Do what I can for my little part here in the great big USA and yes proud of it.

De'on Miller said...

You go sister. MSM makes a lot of money tracking down the horrors of life. War is that as well, but that arguing...I can't stand it. My TV is rarely on, and I barely watch the news. I get it on the Internet now.

I love you little sis...we're digging in, right?