Sunday, December 03, 2006

Moonlit Hands

This is the poem I wrote in the 5th grade that my Aunt Karen wanted to see.

All is quiet, while my parents are asleep.
I stand up and walk to my window.
I kneel on a light blue bench, gently press
my hands together.I softly speak the words
of prayer. Praying for faith, patience, kindness
and so much more. The prayer words fade
in the moonlight. One clear word comes at the end, Amen.
I feel the prayer get sent into Heaven.
As I look at the silver clouds, I see the grayish moon
hiding behind them. I really hoped the moon
would come back out. It suddenly drifted out like it heard
my thoughts. I stared a it, it stared at me. The moon
glowed on my hands, which were still in prayer position.

Staring at my moonlit hands, I thought
about how I have always wanted to hear God, or see angels.
I felt a heart warming feeling while my hands
were flooded in the moonlight. Like something
I've always wanted to happen would come. But I was getting tired
and slowly walked back to my bed, leaving the moonlight
behind me. I fell to sleep quickly. A delicate sound
woke me up. An angel with heaven white feathered wings
was playing a golden harp while floating
in the air with the harp in front of her. She turned
to me and gently smiled.

Now I have seen an angel,
and then she disappeared.
Why did all this happen so suddenly? Only one
answer to that question that I know of. It had
to be moonlit hands.

2 comments:

De'on Miller said...

Wasn't this your first?

Love,
Auntie

Anonymous said...

Your last name is no accident. You really are a jewel.