Saturday, December 09, 2006

All The Way from Mississippi! Thanks, Marilyn!

I've had the pleasure of getting to know Marilyn Harrell via e-mail. Her son, John Harrell was one of Aaron's best friends at Pendleton. They were together from Boot Camp on. I remember seeing Marilyn in San Diego at their graduation from Boot Camp.
She came into my life for real the week that Aaron was killed. Called me, and is faithful to still keep in touch.
Marilyn writes an essay each month and has graciously agreed to share this one with our readers.
Thanks, Marilyn. And I know you and your family will have a great deal of joy this Christmas with John and Irene's little bundle of joy.
Joy to the World

“Joy to the world! The Lord is come! Let earth receive her King.”
-Isaac Watts-

Once again it’s December and people everywhere are thinking about Christmas. Or are they? Are they offended when we offer them a cheery “Merry Christmas!” when we see them at the mall? Or does it bring a smile and a “Merry Christmas to you, too!” in reply? A lot of people want to take the “Christ” out of Christmas and make it just a “winter holiday”. We’re told that is so that other faiths won’t be offended. But Christ’s coming was a joyful thing, not a fearful. He came to bring great joy to ALL people. And ALL who have received Him as Saviour have received this joy in their hearts.

Can our friends and acquaintances look at us and see JOY in our hearts because we have Jesus as our Saviour? Jesus’ coming to earth was a joyful thing! When the angel appeared to the shepherds to announce His birth he said he brought “good tidings of great joy”. (And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. Luke 2: 10-11 )

During Christ’s years of earthly ministry he told people that he wanted them to have JOY. ( These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. John 15: 11)

Even when Jesus came to the cross to fulfill the reason for His coming to earth, He had JOY. ( Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12: 2)

This Christmas season I want to have JOY in my heart because Christ lives in me. Enough JOY that others may see that He is enough to satisfy all our needs. When I look at a Nativity scene, I want to remember that Jesus left Glory to come and be born into a poor family here on earth so that He could pay for my sins. ( And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn. Luke 2: 7 ) When I see a Christmas tree I want it to remind me of the cross on which Jesus died. ( The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. Acts 5: 30) When I see the lights decorating that tree, I want to be reminded that Jesus is the Light of the World. ( That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. John 1: 9 ) When I see gifts placed under the tree I want to be reminded of the greatest gift ever given…eternal life. ( For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6: 23)
Let’s remember that, truly,

Jesus is the Reason for the Season!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you.