Thursday, December 07, 2006

I'll Be Seeing You

My love affair with the era we call the Greatest Generation began in high school. I picked up "The Longest Day," the classic telling of D-Day by Cornelius Ryan, and read about the courage and determination of American warriors who began the war with one leg kicked out from under them at Pearl Harbor.

I was hooked, and I began reading book after book about World War II. I bought Big Band music, listening to Glenn Miller's "Moonlight Serenade." When I listened to the music from that era, I could feel the will of America pounding with the beat of "In The Mood," and I could sense the longing for loved ones in the words of "I'll Be Seeing You."

Americans were relieved to be done with the Great Depression. Prosperity energized a country that was emerging from a national financial disaster, and men and women were eager and proud to do whatever was necessary to defend their country after the attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941. That fervor, that pride in country, was new to a boy who grew up in the divisive years of the Vietnam War.

While I read book after book about World War II, my awe increased. The country was united, determined to destroy Germany, Japan and Italy. Civilians rationed and did without so that resources could be diverted to the military. I have some of the ration books my grandparents used during the war to buy butter, shoes, sugar, gasoline and other commodities. None of that spirit seemed to exist during Vietnam. If it did, I missed it.

Instead, I saw the My Lai Massacre, as historians call it, screaming from the magazines and newspapers. The campus riots, especially Kent State, were foreign demonstrations to a boy growing up in the conservative Texas Panhandle. The evening news rarely failed to report on Johnson's withering administration, and the chants from the protestors outside the White House gates still echo in my mind.

That was the war I grew up with, and the Watergate scandal, arriving on the heels of our pullout from Vietnam made me more weary of an era plagued with assassinations, riots and an unpopular conflict. I escaped into my books about World War II, where the vision of a country flush with prosperity and love of country soothed me. I admit that I romanticized the military, and I did join the Air Force a few years later. It wasn't the escapade-loving military I had read about in the books on World War II. Instead, it was an organization that was largely populated by cynical and usually bitter veterans of Vietnam. Some of them made my life hell. But overall, I liked the Air Force.

I know the United States wasn't perfect during the years of World War II. We were segregated, and no black Americans received a Medal of Honor during the war, although I'm certain, some of them displayed the heroism deserving of one. We weren't a perfect nation, but we were a patriotic one.

It's that feeling I long for and wish we could capture again on this anniversay of Pearl Harbor.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great read Steve. I too have read many books about WW2. And yes there were plenty of segregation. Units comprised of soley blacks. However IMO that really did open the door for blacks to prove that they were as red blooded as the next American. They proved that their blood was the same color and really opened the doors for future career oportunities later. Future conflicts would prove no less challenging; but in today's military it just might be the closest thing we have as a nation today where racism is not a huge factor as opposed to civilian America. It can never be perfect obviously, but theres far less of it in there than in mainstream USA. Some of my most influential leadership when I was in were of color. And man could a black drill instructor or platoon Sgt. sing a good cadence.

The WW2 era still had a far more unified country than the conflicts that followed. They were and shall remain the greatest generation. We won that war because America as a whole understood what was at stake.

I believe that just as much is at stake today if not more. I've heard the comparisons, as I know you have without a doubt, to Vietnam politically and the type of enemy tactics being used is definately pretty darn close. We are fighting in an urban jungle as opposed to a triple canopy one. But a jungle all the same with a hidden enemies.

But the true parallals can be seen in how radical Islam, it's jihadists, and insurgency is just as insane if not more insane than the Nazi Stormtrooprs and Japanese Kamikazi's.

God Bless.

On a personal note I just couldn't come up with anything as far as my great uncle went and exactly what the deal was as it pertained to his service to this country in the Navy. I wished more of my family had paid attention to the details a little more.

Being the attention to detail guy I am I was reluctant to send, via email, any kind of story that wasn't going to be supported by solid facts or no meat in substance.

Keep of the great work here Steve. I'll be going back and forth and catching up on your alls stuff today. I gotta catch up on a bunch of things; but I try to look and read it all and will. Semper fi brother.

De'on Miller said...

Wow, great post and comment. There's meat here for sure.

And Gunz, you're welcome here with any story, anytime.

Anonymous said...

I set here and sang all the words to I'll be seeing you it had beautiful lyrics and is one of my all time favorites...I just finished Marjorie Moningstar and I want to read all of Herman Wouks novels he is truly a magnificent writer..thanks Steve for the tip and the memories...Love Virgie Bell said...

Anonymous said...

Virgie,
Herman Wouk is a master storyteller. The Caine Mutiny won a Pulitzer. Read it. You will definitely like The Winds of War and the sequel, War and Remembrance.

If you haven't read Tales of the South Pacific by James Michener. It also won a Pulitzer and was the basis of the musical, South Pacific.

I'm glad you like Wouk's work. I've read some of his books several times.

Anonymous said...

Yeah..Steve I read the Winds of War and I loved it ..I had forgotten he wrote it but I do remember the book..He is right up there with Leon Uries..but you know in Marjorie Morning star the one on the cruise ship..he said every kind of mind likes a mystery. I was disappointed with the end until the next day when I realized whar Mr. Waugh was conveying. he is a master no doubt.I will read all the other ones ..You should know this is one of my greatest thrills..to find a whole new source of reading...Sometime when you are here look at my first 50 years book by Life and I have 100 years of Los Angeles Times..Love Virgie