Monday, November 13, 2006

Virgie Bell's View

Nearly all of the democrats voted for the war. Maxine Waters and one or two others voted against it. I have failed to see many stand behind their vote and support the troops.

Yes, I know you are a journalist and used to disagreement but saying the troops are not allowed to voice their thoughts and then to say what they think is a stretch for me to comprehend and I feel most journalists have done more to hurt our war efforts than to help. If the first thing we want to do is hold someone accountable-- for what?...that’s what I can't understand, that is what I just don't understand. It’s as if we go on and on about what is fair. You said you understand that there is collateral damage...ok…you said that here in my living room when you were here...right? A lot of those are mistakes, so who exactly do we hold hearings on that about? The military that’s who.

There will always be the John Kerrys and Murthas with their political aspirations and then the ones like Timothy McVay who God only knows where that kind of thing comes from. It makes my blood boil to think we will have Murtha, Kerry, and Ted Kennedy setting in judgment on anything. I can't wait to see what happens now that they are in power as you call it, but power is still with our Commander In Chief whom I have always supported regardless of party affiliation. As I said I stood behind Clinton. It was the Mark Rich pardon that blew that forever, just for money, for a library and a gold saxophone.

I have heard so much pure crap from the Hollywood liberals that I am prone to jump anyone who agrees with them on anything but you would have to admit the journalists have played that for all it was worth.

Did we know at the time that Saddam was using his claim of having weapons of mass destruction to hold his poor people in line? No, we did not just as we can't know Iran wants them for peaceful purposes, and then we have dopes like N Korea, so go figure airing our dirty laundry for the world and our Commander In Chief, in hearings, in front of good old Congress, foremost among them the ones I've already mentioned, and I think of what a nightmare this will all become.

You are a very decent and warm human being Steve and I'm sorry I went off on you; I have been a political junkie for so long and I wonder how I can overcome this but I realize I must but think as long as there is one American soldier anywhere we should just all pull together.

I relish James Baker being back in with Gates. I had respect for him during Desert Storm and Desert Shield.

I will always be angry that we were hit on 9/11 just as I will always be about Pearl Harbor. Uncle Lewis was overseas where he served in World War II and Aunt Pearlie was wondering why there were not more of their folks visiting when he reminded her that generations were buried with them.

I just finished reading Flags of our Fathers and we lost 85 percent of our troops in Iwo Jima. I guess what it all boils down to is I wish those in the Congress and Senate could just shut up.

My Uncle Lonnie could certainly weigh in here having fought in Iwo Jima, Bougainville, and Guam. But he has got too much sense so he will leave it to the hatch jobs like me to spout off.

I have never served in the military but I come from a long line who did and I know that I will never be as mild and understanding, and I literally can’t stand the thought of John Kerry questioning our President about anything nor Ted Kennedy for that matter. So when you mention hearings and accountability I just want to throw up.

You and I are in for a long relationship if you and my daughter write together so we are going to have to be more tolerant of one another…

You go first, OK ha

2 comments:

De'on Miller said...

Mom,

The military defends freedom of speech. They don't practice it, (except with each other) nor should they. It would be chaos.

Rank takes care of everything.

Lawlessness is different. That is dealt with--one way or another.

Anonymous said...

The fact that so many high-ranking military officials were speaking out against their chain of command is huge news. I've also read Army reports about some of the alleged abuses against the Iraqis, and there were some eloquent critiques from NCOs that articulated their frustration with their chain of command. Do you know how rarely that happens in the military? It is RARE.

So, I take all of that into consideration when I say that the military, usually stoic and taciturn, is relieved by the change in the Pentagon. It's unheard of for them to speak out as they have done, so when they do it, it gets my attention. No, I haven't spoken to all of them. Their actions (the way they've spoken out agains the chain of command) speak loudly about their feelings.

You'd be shocked if I told you what most of the soldiers and Marines have told me here. I'll share that with you when I get back and after I strap you down to your chair!! Just kidding.

As De'on mentioned in an e-mail, I want answers from Bremer. I want to know why he defied the president and Rumsfeld and implemented plans and policies that weren't briefed to the president. The president and Rumsfeld were shocked when Bremer completely did away with the Iraqi army. That wasn't Bush's plan.They were to be used in support roles, and Bremer sent hundreds of thousands of ARMED Iraqi men to the unemployment line with his actions. The military leaders pleaded with him not to do it, but he never considered the military's opinions. The Iraqis picketed the Green Zone with signs that said "Please Keep Your Promises." So those armed, angry men were snatched up the insurgency who were able to say "See. We told you the Americans can't be trusted. WE told you that they are occupiers, not liberators." Bremer needs to answer for this and other actions that were contrary to the president's plan and that helped to fuel the insurgency.

Why should he answer for it? The same reason anyone must be held accountable. We are a country of law and order. How dare he go against the president and the secretary of defense's orders. His actions got men and women killed and contributed significantly to the insurgency's power. To say, "Oh well" is an insult to the people, both Iraqis and our military, who suffered because of his actions. I want Bremer to explain to America why he did this. I want him to be held accountable because it's the way we do business in this country. No one is above the law, and I'm not ashamed when it's aired out before the rest of the world. In fact, it shows the rest of the world that we hold our democracy dear. That no one is above our laws. When we hold violators accountable, it shows the world that our democracy and our justice system is more dear to us than individuals and political affilitations.