Friday, December 22, 2006

Do You Hear What I Hear?



My family can tell you that the wind chimes on my front porch remind me that Aaron is near. I’ve had these wind chimes since Aaron was a teenager.

Steve was here for the night and this morning we talked about my wind chimes. Both of us had noticed how they hadn’t been twinkling much since last night. Actually, I hadn’t heard them as much as usual for a few days, which saddened me. But this morning while we were talking about it, suddenly, they started chiming over and over again. There wasn’t much of a breeze, whereas last night there was.

Steve’s on his way home now, but I just wanted him to know my chimes have been singing all afternoon.

Some will think I’m crazy for relating the chimes to Aaron. I’m not, and I’ll bet that nearly anyone who’s lost someone has a special way in which they feel the presence of their “missing” loved one.

I’m sure I’ve relayed to you before that the birds make me think of God, of life, of God’s promises, and of His mercy’s rebirth with each rising of the sun. When the sun comes up, we can know that God’s covenant has held. God is not a covenant breaker. It doesn’t even matter if we believe that or not. It is what it is, and if God has revealed His Word to you within your heart, within your hurting soul, if He has told you something in His Word, it will hold. You can bank on it.

The Bible is His Last Will and Testament. His Word nourishes our spirit just as bread nourishes our body. If you are hurting, then ask Him to show you something. He will.

He’s God. Who created and controls the breezes. The sunrise, the sunset. The time of the tide.

Our coming in. Our going out.

If He said He will perform it, He will.

I need to remember this right now and I need to nourish my own spirit.

There are a few I’ve really been praying for today. And I’ve asked God to help me write something encouraging, whether my tears flowed or not. After a while of restlessness and still trying to come up with something for the readers I so love, I finally said, “LORD! There is nothing I can say or do. What am I thinking? Look at me.”

But He reminded me that you are His and He will care for you.

Don’t think it strange if some peace or joy touches you, tugs at your shoulder, invites you into its unfathomable banquet and nourishes you, touches your forehead and bids you to stay a while. Oh my friends, it is like the breezes and the gentle music of my chimes, it comes and goes and though we can’t tell where it comes from, its presence is truly within us if we will but take the time to search it out and though it be fleeting, in our limited grasp of the ways of the Spirit at least, it is real, and He will never forsake you or leave you comfortless.

The Word of the LORD.



And from me, I do truly love you all and will pray most generously for you over the next few days. Please pray for me too.


Click here to listen to "Do You Hear What I Hear?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so touched by this story - have come back to read it several times. Thank you for sharing it.

De'on Miller said...

You're very welcome.