Saturday, October 14, 2006

And We're Live: Starring the Grigsby's

“People, we’re going live! And it’s 5-4-3-2-1…and WE ARE LIVE with We Are Family… (I got all my sisters with me…yeah…)

“MMMmmm, Welcome to another five pages (no, I really don’t think it’s six. Is it? Okay, six then. But fortunately, the blog doesn’t show page numbers. Brevity is not my thing.”

Back to our program.

Hey everybody, welcome to my Dad’s 72nd birthday party.

“Dad says hi everybody.”

“Hi Dad!” I know you are saying this out loud to yourself. Tell the truth.

No, you guys should call him Grandpa. That’s what Aaron called him.

“Hi Grandpa!”

Now you’re getting it.

But back to our program.

“Welcome to another saga of We Are Family. Tonight’s feature will be on the Grigsby’s.

“Who wants to be interviewed first?”

“Me, me, me…hollers Kayla. (That’s Little Pretty, remember her? Aaron’s cousin, who is now 13.)

I know. Me too.

“Okay, Kayla, tell us what you did tonight at Grandpa’s party.”

KAYLA: “Well tonight I went driving for the first time with my Uncle Bud!
I was like doing really good. Uncle Bud was like hurry STOP!!! Then he’d be
All SLOW DOWN! Don’t you be driving like that. I was like ok I already have a
Grandpa. Well at least that was what was in my mind. What I really said was “ok grandpa” I like to go fast. It makes you feel like queen of the road. Or princess of the
Road. Man that was awesome and then I thought a way to get a hot guy’s attention is
Just honk, wave, and smile cute. But I ain’t sayin that I saw any cute guys. Then I drove up and parked and forgot to put it in park. Well I know for sure that I am not a blonde but
I do need to pay attention to the road. Then later I came to my grandpa’s and ate a hot
Pepper. It was so………. Good. Later tonight I am gonna go with my friend Allie and
We like laugh a lot! But we are thinking of Halloween costumes for her mom’s friend’s
Party. There is only a little bit of my fun life.”

Narrator: (You’ve got to picture the rolling eyes and occasional flip of twilled bang, back, up and off, as if it were a struggle, as if the twill were too heavy…but at last, she’s lifted it, tossed it up and over. What a girl. What an age. Geez).

Aaron would freak.

Next is Karen, my sister-in-law. Zach and Aaron are crazy about her.

KAREN: “It’s been a while since we all gathered together, so of course we are all having a wonderful time tonight. Our family gatherings are always loud, rambunctious, lots of laughter….everyone so glad to see each other. I think that’s why Aaron and Zach always enjoyed a party so much, they grew up partying in this fun but crazy family.
Tonight is my father-in- law’s (Grandpa’s) birthday. I hate to even call him my father-in-law, he has had me for over half of my life, so he feels like my Dad. He has had to pass through some great obstacles in the past 2 years, so this birthday is a very celebrated one. I hope this finds Steve and all of our beloved warriors safe tonight. You all are never far from our minds no matter what we are doing. And Steve, think of the party we will have when you return. Good night and love to all.”

Narrator: She’s the blonde that commented her comment twice. Perhaps Donna will join us one day. She is known to post the same post six, maybe seven times in a row. She too, is blonde.

But, back to Karen. Karen has been married to my baby and only brother (baby-boy-and-born-eighteen-months-after-the-stillborn birth-of-my-parent’s-first-son-last -Grigsby-to-carry-on-the-Grigsby-name- in-the-Grigsby-family-of-oh-fourteen-sixteen-kids—and-the-one-Kayla-refers-to-as-Uncle-Bud), something like that. You get the picture. For Christmas I would get Wal-Mart house shoes and gown, Gary, Gary got ostrich skin western boots. Yeah, I’m serious. This really happened. (Hi Mom!) Gary has been Karen’s baby for 23 years I think. He was rotten when she got him and Karen carries on the proud 44 year family tradition.

She also works in the County Treasurer’s office in Brownfield, yes you guessed it, Texas. She is the mother of two babies, Sadie and Bonray. Sadie is female, size large, and Bonray is a miniature Dobie. All male.

Yes, dogs. Sort of. You’d have to know Karen. They’re dog-kids. No. Kiddogs.

And Karen is beautiful. Picture Wonder Woman—but definitely blonde.

From Aaron’s Message Board:

Dancing with Aaron

Christmas 2003

Gliding, swaying, twirling...
Sounds of the family gathering for Christmas. Laughter, chatter, and as always, music. "Aaron, can you two-step?" Flashing that wonderful, fetching grin, "Yeah, Aunt Karen." "Show me."

Gliding, swaying, twirling...
"There goes my life" over and over, one of your many favorites. Giggles and smiles drifting over from Jess and Kayla watching. Your love of music, something I always delighted in sharing with you.

Gliding, swaying, twirling...
Glimpses of Roy, Gary, Zach...peering in through the window from the deck. Pieces of conversation, faint rattles of food readying waft by from the kitchen where Lisa, De'on and others are milling.

Gliding, swaying, twirling...
I glance up at a stong countenance...Slight smile, singing along softly. Those thick, wonderful eyebrows knitted, concentrating on not missing a step. Arms of a Marine now, lightly guiding, steering, leading.

Gliding, swaying, twirling...
I look down at those large Austin feet, steady in cadence, careful not to step on mine. Remembering when those feet were only nine months old, only imagining then how they would grow and what path they would take.

Gliding, swaying, twirling...
It was my last dance with you, Aaron Cole, but it is one of my constant, favorite memories of you. It's almost two years, but you are not any less loved, missed, thought of. Thank you for this dance..."Your Aunt Karen of Brownfield, Texas USA

Gary still can’t talk about Aaron. But he’s so proud of him. He admires our military.


Gary and I have danced to the theme song of tonight's show. We Are Family more than once.

Narrator: Next is Jesika. We call her Jes. She’s madly in love with Zach (Aaron’s cousin, Kayla’s brother, Zachry Jewell, the one The Reply was written for.) We, as a family, are grateful to God above that she is so in love with Zach, because Zach is another Gary.

Zach was an only child for fourteen years, and then came Kayla.

Yes, Kayla, you were planned.

HHHHhmm. Back to our program.

Jes is the mother of four year old Weston. To Weston, I am "Nomi." Pronounced Know Me (which is what I was to be to Aaron's children). Weston used to see Aaron. He was on a boat, he said. Until a few months ago, Weston talked to Aaron a lot. It was comforting for me. I guess age took over, and that's okay too. But Weston doesn't really think that he wants to go be with Jesus. He's lost Aaron, and his Mimi's (Lisa) Misty (cat) and Oscar (dog). He sees a pattern there.

Jes, too, is Wonder Woman. Only Red.

JES: Well I am just sitting here listening to my husband (Zach) make us laugh, something he is very good at. Karen is right this is a fun and crazy family that loves to laugh. Right now my 4 year old son is begging anyone to go outside with him and play hide and go seek in the dark, he finally got Karen to go!! I am glad we are all here celebrating Grandpas birthday. One of many celebrations that we will celebrate and we have men and women like our Aaron to thank for being able to enjoy times like these. Thank you all and thank you Steve for going over there to let us know what is going on first hand. Our prayers are with you and all of yall’s safe return.

From Aaron’s Message Board: "Hey Aaron Whats up man I am sitting here and I can't get you off my mind. I have been through my first christmas and new year without you and it is pretty empty. But God has and always will bless heroes such as yourself. For without you we as Americans wouldn't have all our luxuries we all enjoy. But may I say in the same breath those very same luxuries we all enjoy are not the same without you. I have had long enough to deal with this and has much as I would like to say everything is fine something is missing in everybody that had a chance to know and love you the proof is in the eyes. Hey death is bitter sweet depending on your religion but for us missing you death is that much sweeter becuase that day all of this confusion is gone and that is really the only comfort I find in the whole situation no words, sayings pictures, bring you back and what can I say I miss you nothing else. So my dieing day will be that bitter sweet moment. I love you and everything you stand for Aaron, damn boy you have set the bar high for this nation like the scripture says John 15:13 Greater love has know one than this. that he lay down his life for his friends. I love You and miss you and hold you in my heart forever. Thank You Aaron"Zach of Lovington New Mexico

Zach, too. It’s tough right now.


So, I guess I’ll wear out some other listening ear.


"Aaron, Thank you for what you did for us. While you were over there in Irag and when you were home. I knew you before I was apart of your family and then I never dreamed that you would be callling me your cousin. I am so glad that I am. I know that you probably thought that you drove me crazy but really you never did. Even when you let Weston have an unopened beer. That picture is something we will cherish forvever. I know my son will never get to know his Unlce Aaron but Zach and I will always let him know just how much you loved him. When he wears your memorial shirt I ask him where Aaron is and he points to your picture and gives you a kiss. I know you will be watching down on him and protecting him just like you would have done if you were here. That puts my mind at peace and always will. Thank you Aaron.P.S. Your mom thinks Weston will be the next one kicking in doors so please protect him!!!We love you"bgvcvvvvgfv dks" this is from Weston 2years old, maybe you know what it says!"Jesika Jewell of Lovington New Mexico.


Narrator: Jes. Plenty of stories about that one. Whooaahh. And I will tell one sometime. Zach will love it because that’s his favorite subject. Satire. Zach’s the one. I can’t wait to bring you an epic on them. I hate to give anything away prematurely, but if anyone out there needs a loan at the credit union here, Jes can hook you up. Zach says apparently you don’t even need his signature. Just see Jes.


And next is my baby sister, Lisa. She’s three years younger than me, four years older than Gary. Together, the two of us kept his bottle warmed for him until he was well past three. I know, I'm having a hard time getting past all this. I signed Dad's card: Love from your favorite child.

Like me, Lisa is not Wonder Woman, any way shape or form (shape being the key word here: we are more like Wonder What Happened?) We once had brunette hair, but that too, is a thing of the past. Lisa is red now, yeah, another word problem in math. Me, I’m salt and pepper. Pretty much pepper after Lisa pulls my hair through a plastic bonnet and paints it every so often.

But Lisa is my best friend. Well, Greg is my best friend too, and they always argue this point.

But I couldn’t have made it without Lisa.

LISA: “Go Red, White, and Blue. There is no way I can even describe how I feel about the commitment you guys do for all of us back here in the U.S.A. I want to let you all know I think of you all, plus your families. You are in my heart and prayers. I love you. Keep Steve Ramos safe if you happen to run into him. He is a great guy! I’m also attending my Dad’s 72nd birthday. He has also fought his battles with cancer. We are so blessed to have him. This is also Lance Corporal Aaron Austin’s grandpa, and I am his Aunt Lisa. Stay safe guys. Please write on this blog I love to hear from you.”

From Aaron’s Message Board:

Thank you Doc for you special memory that you shared. We, Aaron Austin's family share all the memories that we have had in his lifetime, it brings us such joy. We didn't have the honor to share with him what his Marines and those who's path he crossed while in his duty to his Country. His life ended just the way he had been so faithful to his family also. We knew he would do and be there for each and everyone of us. I miss that so, along with all of his other wonderful qualities that he had. I hate to say had because he is sharing them with Jesus and anyone else's loved one in the Kingdom of Heaven. I thank each and everyone who has taken something special from their heart and applied it to this Memorial. We understand that there are lots of hearts feeling the same as ours, either by missing Aaron or missing the loss of their loved one or both. We thank you and pray for you. Just as we know Aaron is doing the same. He is still in our hearts each and everyday, and I know he is up their rooting for each and everyone of us. And to Aaron thank you for the memories that we have. You left us with so many good ones. It is an honor to have been a part of your bloodline. Your Anti, just like you spelled it. I wouldn't change a thing. Love ya man."Lisa Jewell of Lovington, N.M.



Well, that about does it for the birthday party. Except for Dad. Dad had a dream, a vision, something so fantastic, happen to him during his cancer: I’ll tell you about that another time. It’s a story all its own. My dad was diagnosed with Stage IV squameous cell carcinoma four days before Aaron was killed. Aaron never knew. Then, anyway.

Happy Birthday, Dad, Grandpa. You’re a blessing. I heard someone say once that the manifestation of Jesus in the soul was to utter naught a word during times of humiliation. You’re that, Dad, humble.

Since this post time is set on CST, Dad’s birthday will be over. He’s an October 13th kind of guy. Bad-luck Friday every seven years. But the day usually turns out good.

And Happy Birthday to Hennessy, who turned seven or eight on the 12th. I could look up the year, but let’s just keep it where it is, seven or eight. I just always thought it was kind of cool that his birthday was one day before Grandpa's.

It’s late and I’ve worn your ear enough. But see, Aaron is with us. As much as he can be. And I really think maybe he is with us even more than we can hope or imagine, but, we are so limited, compared to that Spiritual Warrior.

Thanks for being a part of my family tonight.

I hope sweet rest comes your way tonight. God bless you and your families.


**Steve, I would say sleep tight, but guess you’re up and about now.

It may be about three days before we hear from Steve. I miss seeing his name on my email already.

De'on Grigsby Miller

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

turn that music up people. you got dawgs partying with ya. LOL. Loving it. ROCK ON. Happy birthday Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Loving every word. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Loving every word. Keep it up.

De'on Miller said...

Ohh, thanks. I'm so glad to have you!