Saturday, December 16, 2006

Virgie Bell's View

Christmas came early to us this year and as I have stated over and over: I have been a very good girl. One day around Thanksgiving Lisa was here and all of the sudden there arose such a clatter I sprang to my feet to see what was the matter and what to my wondering eyes should appear? A tiny starved kitten.... Yes, Jerry and I are now the proud and adoring owners of Tony Thomas. He has cost us a bundle so far, and even now, we still can be found in the aisle of merchandise marked Pet Food, Supplies and Toys.
Tony came to adopt us in a strange and wonderful way. He must have sensed Lisa was here because she is such a sucker for stray dogs and cats. De'on has received three dogs in her adult life from the adoption service of Lisa’s Animal Homes for Pets. I had my new hearing aids in when Lisa looked out of the kitchen and yelled, "You have a kitten!" Out the door she ran with me at her heels, and under her car’s front wheels was this little kitten. He was starved and infested with fleas and mites. Tony was on his last life. I really think he was on about his eighth-and-a-half-life. Lisa dropped down on her knees, and of course, Tony came right up to her. One side of his whiskers was burnt nearly all the way off. He had escaped from Kitty Hell into Kitty Heaven.

The last thing I wanted was to own a pet. Oh, we have a gold fish outside and tropical fish inside which I considered enough ... I certainly didn't look to have a kitten adopt us but we were picked out anyway. Tony is now well fed, deloused, his own record of shots and a whole list of feline accessories. He is the owner of his own condo, wool carpet over heating pad and house with four inch foam padding topped with sherling carpet. He has his supply of the best food from the veterinarians and a pick up and delivery service by Judy's Pet Grooming and Boarding. He is picked up and delivered by Lisa’s Pet Chauffer, Inc.

Tony was named by me, his adoring mother. I named him after Tony the Tiger, first of all because he is Grrreaaat, and second because of his tiger color and stripes. When Daddy Jerry came in he was thrilled with this new addition to our family. I believe in his heart he had hoped to become a father to a stray pet but he had been hesitant to mention it to me. He knew I had taken the “works forever birth control for animals” and he longed in silence for about fifteen years. When I saw this helpless, burned, starved member of the throw away society, I knew that the time had come to give him this living gift and affirmed that I would try my very best to turn this home into a heaven for this small little creature created by God.

Tony has been a big help to Jerry around his new home. Greg and Jerry were putting up a new door to the patio and here was Greg running the electric drill while six-foot-three Jerry devoted himself to holding and stroking Tony in order to assure the small creature that he was safe forever of past abuse. Tony has been diligent in helping Jerry rake leaves in the yard and is looking forward to helping his daddy pick up pecans in the back yard. For now, Tony just chases stray pecans all over the patio. I think he wants to make sure none escape from us unshelled. Unlike De’on’s most hateful cat and Lisa’s stuck up feline, Tony has been endowed by his creator with the most loving purring motor and outgoing personality. Indeed, he is the proud owner of a Christmas tree that contains 2000 twinkling lights for his enjoyment. He has already received a pick-up load of cat toys for The Discriminating Cat. Jerry carried him to the last expensive check up and the vet told Jerry that Tony was in perfect health except maybe getting a little too fat...Needless to say I am overdoing the feeding of both Jerry and Tony Thomas. Anyway, the three of us wish a perfect and blessed Christmas to everyone who reads this blog and we SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you found Tony. I am sure he didnt know that he was fixing to go from hell to heaven!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this story. It's so neat to watch you with Tony, and of course, I love watching Paul Bunyon with him.

Welcome to the most loyal love around...that of a pet, or a few pets.

Anonymous said...

Tony is a blessing for you. I hope he is entertaining you while you recoup. He will give you much love!
Love you.