Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Virgie Bell's View

A historian who has been an associate of Jimmy Carter for 23 years resigned his position because of outright lies and exaggerations in Carter’s recent book on Palestine. What a sad little postscript for a sad little part in history.

Mr. Carter had his wife sit in on important Cabinet meetings. This was, of course, one of those times when the voters got two for the price of one. The first time I saw this former president was when he walked to a stage with sleeves rolled up and no necktie to announce his candidacy for president.

He seemed such a refreshing change, but that was the last time he seemed refreshing. Alas, Mr. Carter turned out to be such a dour little man. If he had have taken his rightful place in history, we wouldn't being facing our current crisis in Iran: the Iranian hostage crises, the one where about 50 people from our embassy in Iran were held hostage for over a year.

When something was finally done to rescue the captives, it was done by the Canadian military. I know this is almost unbelievable, but none the less true. Mr. Carter was a Sunday School teacher and a peanut farmer from Georgia, no doubt a wealthy one. I hear little Amy Carter turned out to be a leader of sorts for the activist movement against every conceivable thing. Oh well. I'll spare you there.

Jerry and I don't have anything close to what is offered on Dish. No movies like HBO which really confuses Kayla, my granddaughter. All three of my children have homes that are built around their television sets, sets with the biggest screens this side of Hollywood. Ours is a small set tuned to news 24/7, but once in awhile on Jerry's days off, he will grab the remote and play go fishing.

I’ll cut to the chase. Last week we got in on the movie “Titanic.” Its' one we saw on the big screen many years ago, and we were nearly breathless in our praise for this movie. I watched it again last week and noticed how easily we are fooled by showbiz.

The story line was, of course, a love story – a wealthy girl engaged to a millionaire for her mother’s social gains. She falls in love with an immigrant who has nothing but the clothes on his back and a sketch pad and pencil.

During one scene, he is at the captain’s table in impeccable black tie with soaring good manners and polish. But the real clincher is that at least one-fourth of the movie centers on the ship sinking and people running around in the water that is taking the great ship down. The last scene is of the wealthy girl lying on flotsom and the boy in the water. The thing is that the water they had been able to rescue themselves from on the ship was the same water that was in the ocean – iceberg-cold water. Yet on the ship not even a shiver from them. Do you know I missed this completely? I was so intent on believing the fantasy that I completely skipped the facts.

I'm uneasy about Barack Obama running for president, and this is why. How does a goat herder go to college in Hawaii? My children could never have gone to Hawaii for college, and we always had just a smidgen more money than a goat herder, and we could never have afforded it.

Here is a 40-year-old new comer, yet he has a mansion with an extra lot that cost an additional $100,000. My understanding of a presidential campaign is that the first thing needed is deep pockets. Very, very deep pockets. This just doesn't compute.

It is ludicrous to believe that this rising star could have come so far, and we never heard of him until two years ago. His only competition is, of course, Hillary Clinton of the two-for-the-price-of-one script. Her husband was impeached for lying to the grand jury, which I can get around but not too easily.

The fact that he pardoned Mark Rich, a traitor to the USA, who funneled money to Palestine during their attempt to wipe Israel off the face of the earth along with us Christians. This then would be the first husband of the United States, and yet we still stand in awe of Slick Willy, especially poor Hillary.

Jerry said that Tom Delay is nothing but a crook. I told him that at least he is our crook. Politics is business, and the government of the USA is the biggest business in the world. The first business of this government is to keep me and mine safe.

I heard that the Democratic party has told John Kerry to sit down and shut up, at least for a while. Who really is Barack Hussein Obama? Will he SUPPORT OUR TROOPS?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Virgie,
Obama was never a goat herder. His father was, but he went on to beome a Harvard educated economist for his native Kenya. Obama was born in Hawaii, and, I suppose that's why he went to college there. Now I don't say all of that because I support him. I don't, but we need to get the facts right!

Oprah started all the hooplah about Obama, and the media has followed suit. Oprah is powerful, and a lot of people march to her drum. It's amazing to me, though, that anyone would consider electing a man like Obama to the Oval Office during a time of war who has zero experience. Are they insane?

Obama is probably an intelligent man, but my dog's are smart, too. I don't want either of them in the Oval Office. Obama comes across, at least to me, as a man who maintains a strong love affair with his mirror. He has an inflated opinion of his abilities, and he'll be easily manipulated.

It's because of his ego that he is being pushed to the political forefront. People with egos like his are easily managed. You just stroke them, tell them how wonderful they are, and, oh yeah, just sign right here. Oh, don't worry about what you're signing. We're taking care of you. You just go out there and look pretty.

How anyone can consider Obama as a serious candidate amazes me. Why not just put Cher in the White House? It makes as much sense. If he is, indeed, the capable leader Oprah and his entourage say he is, then let him prove it over the next decade. Then we'll decide if he can lead the country.

I know this is going to sound petty, but I'll throw it out there anyway. Obama's father was a Muslim who, reportedly, fell away from that faith. Obama now attends Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago. I don't know. I have to be candid and say that my stomach flips when I think of anyone in elected office in this country who has Muslim ties. Perhaps I'm not fair, but I don't trust them.

Now, Virgie, I have to take issue with you on something you said about the Carters. Yes, it was reported that Mrs. Carter did sit in on Cabinet meetings. But is that any worse than Nancy Reagan arranging her husband's calendar only after consulting with a psychic? Nancy was a powerful figure in that administration. Just ask Donald Regan.

Now, don't get riled with me! I admire Ronald Regan, and I've come to like Nancy. But be fair. Mrs. Carter wasn't the only First Lady to wield a powerful hand in her husband's administration.

I'll be praying that your surgery goes well.

Anonymous said...

Virgie,
I wanted to add something else. President Carter was more than a Sunday School teacher and peanut farmer. He graduaged from the Naval Academy and served his country as a Naval officer until his father's failing health lead him to return and help with the family farm.

He served in the Georgia Senate and then as governor of that state. And, of course, he was our 39th president. I agree that he wasn't a good president, and I'm not defending his record. But he's been a good ex-president. You might challenge that, and that's OK. But he's a fine Christian man, and I respect him deeply for the work he does now.

OK, now you can disagree!!

Anonymous said...

Dadgum it. I keep forgetting things. I'm not a historian, but I do think that President Carter's work in giving the Panama Canal to Panama was a horrific mistake. I don't know a lot about that, so I'd have to read quite a bit to get up to speed on the subject. Perhaps the canal had become a white elephant for our country, I don't know. It just seems that turning the canal over to Panama was a mistake Carter made.

Virgie Bell, I want you to look at all the writing you're making me do!!

De'on Miller said...

The last I heard about Panama is that China is taking it over. He was just some random guy that Greg and I met a couple of years ago and had just returned from there.

Then when we were in DC in May, a lady that waited on us in an extraordinay restaurant there in VA is actually still living in Panama(or her husband is), but anyway, she said that all of the buildings on the bases had deteriated terribly.

Well, duh, we knew this would happen when he gave it back. The Panamanians do not have what is needed to financially keep up with such a responsibility, so of course, another country and possibly another dictator will end up controling what is rightfully the Panamanians.

Carter was a quack. Perhaps he meant well, I can't say on that with certainty, but IMO, he should have just stayed on the farm. But we elected him.