Saturday, November 04, 2006

Baghdad Ready To Blow

Forgive me for reguritating my words, but I'm posting part of an e-mail I wrote to De'on. I'm strapped for time because the city is preparing itself for the verdict in Saddam's trial.

Baghdad is on extremely tight security as the country waits on Saddam's verdict. The death penalty is expected by many, and most people fear if that's the case, then Baghdad will erupt. The fear and tension is palpable. I went out of the Green Zone for about an hour today. Some of the journalists have threatened to handcuff me to a piece of furniture if I don't stop that, but I have to get out there. That's where the stories are. But it is dangerous, and I don't discount the threats. I'm just careful and prayerful.

You're right. WWIII will have a different face, and I hate to say it, De'on, but this time America will see war on its streets. The talk here is that it won't be long before suicide car bombers are functioning in the United States. It won't be long before the insurgents are doing there what they are doing here. People here believe they are planning it now, and they say Americans need to get more aggressive about destroying the insurgents. But back home, I know everyone is pretty much still operating under the belief that the insurgents are an Iraqi problem. They believe, incorrectly, that they will stay in Iraq. They won't. You, Greg and I know they will go to the states at some point.

I saw that some of the Marines are back and left a message for you. That's so awesome. I know how much they mean to you. You really are a great morale booster. They're pretty busy right now because of the increased violence and the tightened security before Saddam's sentencing. If you're not hearing from them a lot right now, it's because they all have their hands full. I hear it everywhere. They are stretched thin. We need more troops over here. These guys are working so hard, De'on. So hard. I worry for them. When is Rumsfeld going to get it? When is Bush going to get that Rumsfeld doesn't get it? We need more troops over here. You see the weariness in their faces. I want to explode with pride when I see them. Awesome and brave Marines and soldiers doing their absolute best.
Keep your television on when they announce Saddam's verdict. This city is going to explode like it never has. I'm trying now to find a cheap camera since I lost mine in Turkey. I wonder if the insurgents won't try an attack on America after the verdict is announced. They're waiting for something. That might be the catalyst. I don't mean to sound pessimistic. But they are going to do something. It's crazy here. The sounds of gunfire, explosions and the smoke. It's a big city and at any given time, something is going on somewhere in Baghdad. There is never peace. I think it's possible that the Green Zone might come under attack after Saddam's verdict. They've done it before, and this is where all the government offices are located. This will be a target.

But even with all the danger, I wouldn't be anywhere else right now. I'm supposed to be here.
You're all in my prayers.
Steve

4 comments:

De'on Miller said...

and you are very much in ours.
Thank you, Steve.

It's hard to think of the weariness of the troops. You and I both know that military life at its very best is demanding. This kind of stress...man.

You all are some tough hombres is all I can say, besides that my love, my prayers, and my mind are constantly with you all.

De'on

David Odeen said...

WOW!!!

De'on Miller said...

that's thelastI'veheard from him, butI believe he must be okay. Probably out driving everyone crazy for stories! But pray!

David Odeen said...

I have re posted at My Point.com. I hope thats alright, De'on