Monday, October 16, 2006

A Marine Memorial to Aaron

Aaron's Marine brothers honored him in several ways after he was killed in Fallujah. There was a simple memorial fashioned from cardboard and candles shortly after the battle, poignant in its simplicity. The picture above is a collage of three pictures. In the middle, Aaron's brothers-in-arms pose with a bench in Iraq inscribed with "Aaron Cole Austin Memorial" in script. I added Aaron's image from two other pictures and then sent the final product to De'on. As a newspaper editor, I had access to fancy-smancy photo editing software, so I took advantage of it and fixed some pictures of Aaron for De'on. I especially like this picture because it reminds us that Aaron is everywhere. He was there when those Marines fashioned that bench into a memorial for him. His energy is still felt by those who knew and couldn't help love him.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey that pic is outta sight. It looks like it should be a poster or something like that. I didn't know Austin but i'm going to save that pic. he's still my Marine brother.

De'on Miller said...

Oh, when you have time to mill around in here, you'll get to know him! :) And thank you for "checking in" b/c I worry about you guys if we don't hear from you!

Semper Fi, Marine

He'll always be your brother!

Anonymous said...

Gotta love this pic man. we've printed it and put it on the wall along with our other important pics about our brothers. Gunz Up Austin. you make us proud brother.

Anonymous said...

Rock on Austin. Love you bro.

De'on Miller said...

Hey, Mushrooms, Howell, gotta love you guys! And thank you for being "all accounted for!"

jasolater said...

I never met Aaron, but last week I met Cpl. Lee Hampton, who fought by his side. We are good friends now. I hope to meet Aaron someday too.

Thanks to all of you.