Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Blood Is Thicker Than Water--Intro


Blood Is Thicker Than Water: An Introduction to the Series

When starting this project, I knew it would be big…I just didn’t realize how big. There are several facets to Marines. A Marine, most likely is born a Marine. Although it’s usually in hindsight, most mothers can attest to it; though they may appear shocked at their child’s decision to become a Marine recruit, usually later, they are just as proud of their title as the Marine is of his (for readability purposes, please translate this generic his form into his or her). Looking back, a Marine Mom can point to precise signals of that warrior spirit she gave birth to: devout loyalty, the love of family, of country, and perhaps most of all, the love of their brothers; the United States Marine Corps.

Jarhead, Leatherneck: these are just a few of the titles they possess. Talk to just about anyone in any branch, and they’ll tell you: when the chips are down, it’s always good to have a Marine around.

In this MAXI series, I want to thread together the elements of two of“my Texas Marines,” their battles, their units, and the homefront. As well, I want to examine the pulse of the American people during World War II and The War on Terror.

I’m looking forward to this. I know I’ll learn a great deal. I’ll run the postings on Corps Blogger as well as Gunz Up.

Pictured above: Left to Right, Lt. Col. (R) Lonnie D. McCurry; Lance Corporal Aaron C. Austin, KIA April 26, 2004; and Sgt. Bennie L. Pickrell.

Or otherwise known to me: Uncle Lonnie (my great-uncle), Aaron Cole, and Uncle Bennie.

Once A Marine, Always A Marine.

Don’t Mess With Texas.

Three Marines, one state, one family. The photograph was taken at Aaron’s Homecoming Party in Lubbock, Texas, after he returned from OIF I. August 2003.

This event was actually the only time that Uncle Lonnie and Aaron met.

How strange, but how wonderful. Like looking back at my Marine and his spirit, with awe, I look back at how God began to piece family members together before the tragic event that would take place in our lives less than a year later.


Semper Fi,
De’on

No comments: